Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spinach Pizza


I recently played around with creating a healthy pizza, and absolutely loved the results... so much so that I made the dish again less than a week later.  This is almost like a salad which has been served on a pizza crust.  You can recreate the pizza I made, or just have fun making one of your own.  

Ingredients:

~prepared pizza crust (I used Meijer Organics)
~olive oil
~garlic powder
~organic spinach 
~feta cheese
~organic mild cheddar cheese (shredded, again Meijer Organics brand)
~chopped walnuts
~organic cranberries (love that Meijer Organics brand!)
~grilled chicken (lightly seasoned with pepper and seasoned salt)

Method:

I started with a prepared pizza crust... how easy is that!  I mixed a bit of olive oil (maybe 1-2 tablespoons) with garlic powder and brushed the mixture all over the crust.  Bake the crust for 4 minutes at 450 degrees.  During this time, I grilled my seasoned chicken pieces using my George Foreman grill.  Layer the toppings on the crust however you please, or as mentioned above, use toppings of your choosing.  Bake for an additional 7-8 minutes, until the spinach is wilted.


The pizza was served hot from the oven, and it was delicious!  I also enjoyed the leftovers cold.  I'm happy to report that even my kiddos enjoyed this meal.  Even though my son felt it necessary to tell me he would prefer pepperoni... he still ate this version!

I plan to keep experimenting with new and healthy ways to prepare pizza.  How 'bout you?  Do you have a favorite way to change up pizza in your kitchen?

~nikki

2 comments:

  1. I make my own crust with 1/4 of the four as whole wheat (I can't fit already made crusts in my freezer since the grocery store is 120 miles away...) I first spread pesto sauce on the crust, then cottage cheese, then chicken, and last mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Sometimes I add sliced jalapeno peppers on top. I make the crust very thin and bake the pizza at 350 for about 20-25 min. Tony and Adi love it :o)!

    Love, Eeva :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna HAVE TO try spinach :o)!
    Love, Eeva :o)

    ReplyDelete