Sunday, March 3, 2013

From My Mom's Kitchen: Swedish Breakfast Puffs

This morning, my mom and I worked side by side in her kitchen.  I was actually working on our dinner (which was my make-ahead French Toast), but she was working on what can only be described as a family tradition...her Swedish Breakfast Puffs.

Now, don't let the name fool you.  This is not a breakfast food.  This is more like dessert for the morning time.  In fact, we always eat these after we've already eaten a "proper" breakfast.  (Well, maybe not my dad, but certainly the rest of us!)

For as long as I can remember, my mom has been making this delicious treat.  I especially remember that after I had grown up and moved out of my parents' home, whenever I would come to visit I would ask beg my mom to make puffs.  I would feel so happy when I would hear the sounds of my mom whipping these up in the kitchen.

Now, it's my kids who ask beg Nana to make her puffs.  And, as any good Nana would, she gives in.

Swedish Breakfast Puffs



Mom's directions:

"Mix together 1/3 cup shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 egg.  (You can cream together the shortening and sugar first, and then add the egg.  Be sure the mixture is smooth... Mom says no lumps!)  Sift together 1 1/2 cups sifted flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.  Stir in alternatively with 1/2 cup milk.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes in muffin tins (grease first with cooking spray).  Immediately roll in 1 1/4 sticks melted butter, then in 1 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon mixed together."

Got to love a handwritten recipe card...
Mom told me to change the quantities on the
melted butter and cinnamon & sugar mixture.
Also, giving credit where credit is due,
Mom says this recipe originally came from
her Sister-in-law, my Aunt Betty.

Enjoy!

~nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment