Thursday, February 14, 2013

Browned Butter Gnocchi

Yum!

I shared a recipe on Pinterest a while back which I found in my February issue of Cooking Light magazine.  You can view the original recipe here.

I was excited to try something new, as we have never eaten gnocchi before.  I'm happy to say that we all really enjoyed this dish.  It was simple enough to make, too.  The husband went back for a big plate of seconds, and even the kids seemed to like it.  My daughter called it "Gnocchi, gnocchi!"

I made a couple of minor adjustments to the recipe, and here's what I did:

Browned Butter Gnocchi

Ingredients:

~2 (16 ounce) packages gnocchi
~12 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
~4 tablespoons butter
~2 tablespoons olive oil (don't know for sure that that's the amount I used...I didn't measure)
~black pepper
~pine nuts (about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per serving)
~shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (a sprinkling to taste on each serving)

Directions:

Cook gnocchi in a large Dutch oven according to package directions (mine needed to boil only for about 3-4 minutes).  Add broccoli during last minute of cooking; cook 1 minute and drain.  (Since I was using frozen broccoli, I did partially cook it in the microwave first for 3 minutes.)  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add butter and oil; cook until butter browns.  (The original recipe said to cook for 7 minutes or until butter browns... well, my butter browned very quickly!  I definitely didn't come anywhere near 7 minutes.)  Add pepper to taste; add gnocchi mixture to pan and stir to coat.  Sprinkle each serving with pine nuts and cheese.

From skillet...

...to plate.  Enjoy!
This recipe will definitely be featured in my monthly meal plan next month.  Success!

~nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment